History of Java
1 History of Java
Let's see some points that describes the history of java.
- James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton initiated the Java language project in June 1991.
- originally designed for small, embedded systems in electronic appliances like set-top boxes.
- initially called Oak and was developed as a part of the Green project
- In 1995, Oak was renamed as "Java". Java is just a name not an acronym.
- originally developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems(which is now a subsidiary of Oracle Corporation) and released in 1995.
- JDK 1.0 released in(January 23, 1996).
Java Version History
There are many java versions with codename that has been released.
- JDK 1.0 (23rd Jan, 1996)-oak
- JDK 1.1 (19th Feb, 1997)-none
- J2SE 1.2 (8th Dec, 1998)- playground
- J2SE 1.3 (8th May, 2000)-Kestrel
- J2SE 1.4 (6th Feb, 2002)-Merlin
- J2SE 5.0 (30th Sep, 2004)-Tiger
- Java SE 6 (11th Dec, 2006)-Mustang
- Java SE 7 (28th July, 2011)-Dolphin
- JavaSE 8(18 March 2014)- no official code name (The code name culture is dropped with Java 8)