About the Department
The Department of Commerce at MVN University is committed to creating the best ever, positive, creative, fulfilling and great learning experience by striving to put students first in all its endeavours. It particularly strives:
- To impart state-of-art knowledge in subjects relating to Business Studies, Accountancy, Economics, Business and Company Law, Taxation, Auditing, Statistics, Mathematics, English, Entrepreneurship, Business Ethics and Business Communication Skills among others.
- To prepare and train students for higher education in Commerce and allied streams.
- To inculcate a sense of healthy competition among students through interpersonal learning.
- To impart to the students the requisite skills and competencies for employment in both national and international markets and also be self-sufficient for self-employment.
- To nurture young minds and hearts into becoming not only subject experts but groom them into responsible, ethical and contributory members of the society, citizens of the nation and most of all good human beings by imparting knowledge about life skills and values of humanity.
Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
Master of Commerce (M.Com)
The Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) and Master of Commerce (M.Com) courses at MVN University are designed to provide outstanding, modernized, life and career-oriented, value based commerce education. These courses are particularly designed to make them more appropriate to meet the current requirements of the industry.
Master of Commerce (M.Com)
A candidate should have passed B.Com. (Hons)/B.Com/B.A (H) in Economics/BBE/BBA/BBS or an equivalent examination recognized as equivalent thereto by MVN University with at least overall aggregate of 50% marks (45% for SC/ST students) or an equivalent CGPA. Students who have appeared and are awaiting their under-graduate program result are also eligible to apply.
At MVN University, Department of Commerce:
• We seek regular inputs and suggestions from industry experts in the realm of commerce to stay abreast with the latest industry requirements and trends to ensure the course structure remains updated.
• We ensure our commerce students are in tune with the contemporary issues in their respective subjects through regular guest lectures/workshops from experts in both academia and industry.
• We ensure our students get to develop communication and professional skills through both classroom lectures and regular workshops from outside experts on communication and personality development.
• We ensure that a student’s life is a balanced blend of both classroom lectures and practical exposure. Industrial visits are a regular feature for our commerce students to this end.
• We ensure that students are groomed for a career in commerce and not just a degree.
• Our faculty is extremely supportive and ensures all round development of the students through its endeavour towards counseling and mentoring exercises/sessions.
• Students can avail the library facility which has a rich collection of books on various subjects related to commerce and allied streams.
• Students get to hone their skills and enhance their subject knowledge as well as keep themselves updated through regular participation in Commerce News Update and Commerce Terminology activities.
• Students get to participate, showcase and nurture their talents by involving themselves in extracurricular activities.
The Master of Commerce (M.Com) course is a 2 year post-graduate program. The two year course is semester based with four semesters in all, two semesters per year of six months duration each. This course is different from the traditional and conventional M.Com course offered elsewhere. M.Com at MVN University is the right step in the direction for students wanting to pursue higher education in commerce. The curriculum at MVN University has been especially designed to prepare and train the post – graduate students to accept and face the emerging challenges of the business world by providing opportunities for study and analysis of advanced commercial and business methods, processes and practices. The curriculum includes subjects like – Accountancy, Micro and Macro Economics, Financial Planning and Management, Taxation, Business and Company Laws, National and International Business Environment, Organizational behaviour, Research Methodology, Corporate Governance and Ethics, Entrepreneurship and e-commerce among others. Special subject on Business and Professional Skills has also been incorporated to enable students to polish and enhance their Business and Professional skills, a key industry requirement. M.Com course at MVN University is a fair blend of all core commerce and allied subjects to equip students with the desired qualification, conceptual, entrepreneurial, analytical and professional skills and confidence to enable a smooth transition to various business operations and professional fields. After completing the M.Com course students can choose between higher studies and jobs.
After Master of Commerce (M.Com)
There are ample educational opportunities after post graduation in commerce. Students can enrol in a various masters programme in management for a dual post graduate degree or a doctoral programme in various streams such as Commerce, Banking & Finance, Business Economics, Financial Studies, Income Tax etc. Alongside they can pursue various certificate courses in Applied Managerial Economics, Central Excise, Banking, Financial Accounting and Taxation, Accounting, Stock Market, Derivatives etc.
Career opportunities exist in various areas of banking, economics, investments, insurance, auditing, accounting foreign trade etc. Some of the areas of employment include:
• Banking Sector
• Industrial Houses
• Business Consultancies
• Educational Institutes
• Public Accounting Firms
• Treasury and Forex Department
After pursuing M.Com, one can even apply for the exams like UPSC, Railways, Bank PO, Indian Administrative services etc.
Careers pursued in the field of commerce provide both high earnings and ample growth opportunities and respectable jobs in varied domains.
The syllabus of both B.Com and M.Com course will be prescribed by the Board of Studies of the University. The University has laid special emphasis on value-added programmes and activities for the all round development of the students. Some of these include:
• Guest Lectures from Industry
• Business Quiz
• Business Games
• Business Etiquettes
• Group Discussions
• Case Studies
• Cultural Activities
• Industrial Visits
The department boasts of a great team of faculty members with experience in both teaching and research. They have regularly contributed in both under-graduate and post-graduate teaching and curriculum development and actively shown interest and participated in both national and international seminars and conferences. They are regular contributors in refereed journals of national and international repute and well versed in information and communication technology skills. The department believes in creating and building nourishing and healthy relationships both amongst its staff and students and actively supports and endorses activities and events which enhance such an atmosphere.
Head of the Department – Dr. Disha Sachdeva
Dr. Disha Sachdeva graduated with a Bachelors degree in Commerce from Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, University of Delhi. She completed her Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications securing second position and Masters in Commerce (Specialization: Business Management) securing first position from Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi and also qualified the UGC-NET in Management. She has her Doctorate in Management in the area of human resource issues specific to knowledge process outsourcing companies (KPOs) from the University School of Management Studies, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi. She has published papers in refereed internationals journals of repute and attended several conferences, seminars and workshops. She has completed the Essentials of Human Resource Management Certificate Program of the Society of Human Resource Management by DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois, USA and also two certificate programs on Workplace Harassment: Crossing the Line and Adult Learning and Motivation from Indiana University, South Bend, Indiana, USA. She has considerable teaching experience in commerce and management in various institutes and colleges of repute in both New Delhi and outside Delhi. She is a life time member of Indian Commerce Association (ICA) and National Human Resource Development Network (NHRDN), India. Her areas of interest are General Management, Human Resource Management, Organizational Behaviour, Business Values and Ethics and Communication Skills and Personality Development.
Message from the Head of the Department
It is an honour to head the Department of Commerce of such an accomplished institution. The department constantly endeavours to contribute the best towards academic excellence and is committed towards making student experience the finest it can be. We strongly believe in endorsing and nourishing an atmosphere where ideas are nurtured and shared, students are enthused and teaching is dynamic. We genuinely care for our students, our assets and future glory and seek their valuable suggestions and inputs all along. The students we serve are our greatest priority and we’re committed to dedicating all our resources and channelizing all our energies in an effort to supporting their success. We also foster parental involvement and support, a significant motivational factor to help address student issues in a positive and constructive way. Besides imparting subject knowledge and conducting myriad co-curricular activities, the department facilitates building up the essential skills needed for success in the business world and believes in grooming its students into responsible, ethical and contributory members of the society, citizens of the nation and most of all good human beings.
I also take this opportunity to convey my warmest greetings on behalf of the Department of Commerce, MVN University to all the potential aspirants of the commerce under-graduate and post-graduate programs of our University. I appreciate your interest in our department and its programs and invite you to be a part of our journey towards quality education in commerce.
I wish all our students an extremely memorable, worthwhile and enriching experience at MVN with a brilliant future ahead.
Dr. Disha Sachdeva
Head, Department of Commerce
• Session on ‘Financial management, securities and related financial transactions – Do’s and Don’ts’ by Dr. Mukul Jain, Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) organized on 8th October 2014.
• Workshop cum Seminar on ‘Financial Planning and Valuation Myths’ by Mr. Varun Aggarwal, a renowned personality and founder of Profit ideas organized on 9th October 2014.
• Session on ‘Need of Stock Exchange and Financial Transaction’ by Mr. Harbinder Singh, Bombay Stock Exchange organized on 29th October 2014.
• Session on ‘Indian Democracy and Need of Leadership’ by Dr. Samir Kagalkar from MIT SOG on 11th November 2014.
• Session on Corporate Values and Ethics by Mr. Aman, NIIT Ltd. on 23rd April 2015
• Workshop on ‘Technical Analysis of Stocks” by Mr. Varun Aggarwal, a renowned personality and founder of Profit ideas organized on 4th May 2015.
Commerce News Update:
To keep our students updated on happenings around, students on rotational basis have been entrusted with the responsibility to collect and prepare the latest news on national and international business affairs which is displayed on the department notice board on a weekly basis.
Glimpses of Commerce News Update…..
Commerce Terminology: The ABC of Accounting, Business Studies, Economics and Taxation
A group of students on rotational basis have been entrusted with the responsibility of picking and writing key terms related to the subject along with their meaning which are shared through the department notice board on a weekly basis.
Glimpses of Commerce Terminology: The ABC of Accounting, Business Studies, Economics and Taxation…..
MY VIEWPOINT COMPETITION on ‘Is E-Commerce bringing down the shopping mall fever?
To enable student understanding of the latest in their streams and bring together the elements of a fair and healthy competition and education, My Viewpoint Competition on ‘Is E-Commerce bringing down the shopping mall fever? was organized on 27th November 2014. Students participated enthusiastically and shared their view and ideas on the topic. It was a great learning ground for not only the participants but the non-participants too.
CORPORATE DRESSING COMPETITION
Corporate dressing refers to the art of dressing formally and correctly which not only reflects one’s personality but also of the organization the individual represents. Students got a feel of the corporate attire and its significance by participating in the corporate dressing competition organized for them on 27th November 2014. It was a great learning experience for them and students were extremely excited to dress-up in formal business attire.
ENGLISH SPELLATHON COMPETITION
To improve their English language spellings and test their English literacy progress, an English Spellathon Competition was organized for the students on 8th December 2014. It was a great fun activity in which students participated with great zeal and enthusiasm. The students prepared for the contest using a word list which was provided by their teachers.
Winning teams of the English Spellathon Competition – Rashmi Arora, Kajal Rani, Pooja Yadav, Mayank Sapra, Nayana Dutta, Rekha Aggarwal, Sangeet Chauhan, Kapil Jain and Monika Taneja
Industrial visits play a vital role in students developmental activities chiefly to bridge the gap between what is taught and learnt in classrooms and how organizations really function. Thus students are given a practical exposure by regular Industrial Visits through the university corporate resource centre. An industrial visit was organized to Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) on 15th December 2015. The visit brought greater clarity and understanding about the functioning of a Stock Exchange among the students. Another industrial visit was organized to Tarvo Ltd on 4th May 2015.
B.Com Students at Bombay Stock Exchange, New Delhi with Mr. Harbinder Singh
B.Com Students at Tarvo Ltd., Noida
BIZ-QUIZ a questions and answers activity (objective) designed to brighten and enhance business knowledge and skills among the student community was organized on 16th April 2015. It included questions from national and international current business affairs, famous business personalities, popular companies, business acronyms etc.
Pictionary Competition, a guessing game in which players attempt to identify words from pictures drawn by other players was organized for the students on 16th April 2015. It was based on subjects already taught to the students like Business Organization, Macro Economics, Cost Accounting, Business Law and Environmental Studies.
DUMB CHARADES COMPETITION
A Dum Charades Competition in which the word given to the participants is acted only, with no sound or lip movement was organized on 23rd April 2015. It too was based on the subjects already taught to the students.
Winning teams of Dumb Charades Competition – First Position – Vipul Garg and Sapna; Second Position – Sangeeta Chauhan and Rashmi Arora
The objective of the PFM is to provide a fair and transparent feedback about the progress of the students to the parents, and address specific parent queries, provide adequate counselling and solutions to any problems/issues in a positive and constructive way.